Thursday, July 24, 2014

I don't like to get too personal on social media and I feel a little strange posting this, but I feel like an experience I recently had is one that can bring awareness to my friends and family and one that reminds me of how grateful I am for my health.

About a month and a half ago I was getting pain in my right breast. One day when I was experiencing pain, I felt a lump. It worried me enough that I went to see my doctor. She told me to wait for a few more weeks and if it doesn't go away we needed to schedule an ultrasound. 

Fast forward to a few weeks...the ultrasound did detect some sort of a cyst. They couldn't be sure what it was so I was then scheduled to get the cyst biopsied. The explanation of the procedure terrified me and I almost canceled it just because I didn't want to go through with it. 
(Dev made me take a pic to make me laugh while we waited to start the procedure) 

Although there were a few mishaps and scary things during the procedure, everything went well. For me, having sweet nurses can change any experience in the hospital. 

Two days later I got a call from the hospital with the results. Luckily the lump was benign! What a relief. Although it is benign, I still have to wait to see what my doctor thinks we should do from here. I'm just thankful I'm healthy and that I can move on.    

I decided to post this personal experience purely to encourage other women to please do self breast exams monthly. Learn how to do them and what to be looking for. Even if you are not experiencing pain or other symptoms, lumps can still be found. 

There are a few things I learned through this experience:

1. Always listen to your body. If you feel like something is off, never second guess yourself. We have amazing bodies that do so much for us and it is always our job to take the initiative in caring for them. 

2. This is not as uncommon as I thought. I learned that 4 people Devin and I know have all had this procedure. All 4 of them found the lump in their 20's.

3. Having the support of close friends is such a blessing. I didn't realize that sharing this news with a few of my best friends would leave me feeling so loved and cared for (along with my amazing husband and family).

SO check your boobs people!! 

1 comment:

  1. So glad you posted to help others Becca! I went through the same procedure (with same results) a few years ago and it was definitely scary, so I feel for you. Glad you have such a wonderful support system and hope you get feeling better soon!

    ReplyDelete